Sunday, January 5, 2014

Welcome to Do Ray Me Sew!

 

Well, its a new year, I might as well start it off with a bang! This is a new blog that I created mainly as a means to help get a group of my girlfriends plugged in to the wonderful world of quilting. 

 My Family
 Kole 4 and a half years
Reese 8 months
 

First things first, my name is Rachel Washburn, I have a degree in Kinesiology and am a licensed Physical Therapist Assistant.  I went to school while my son was very young and worked while I was pregnant with my daughter, once Reese was born I knew I wanted to have the opportunity to stay home with her.  My husband, being the super supportive guy he is, was totally for it and I have loved every minute of it... well, most minutes of it ;)  I first came into quilting three and a half years ago when I saw an adorable log cabin quilt in a Martha Stewart Living magazine and thought "I could so do that!" So the journey began.  I had taken Home Ec in high school and my grandmother had let me mess around on her sewing machine some when I was younger, but that about wrapped up my sewing background.  With my grandmother's help we managed to somehow pieced together a "log cabin baby quilt" (I hesitate to even use the word quilt) which none of you will ever see pictures of, so don't even ask.  Needless to say it was a brutal experience, but I loved the idea of sewing and making quilts so I began looking up tutorials by simply Google searching, and found that most of the tutorials I was interested in were from quilting blogs.  Oh I was completely hooked!  My first real quilt I made was from the tutorials I found on my beloved blogs, no book needed.  My three favorites are Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts, Stitchery Dickory Dock, and Oh Fransson.  The women on these blogs are some seriously talented quilters and are always providing free tutorials and quilt alongs to encourage others to join the quilting community.  Which brings us to my blog...

As I said before, this initially is a blog to make it easier to communicate with my Mom's Inc group from church that has showed interest in participating in a fun quilt along.  Now, for those of you who are in the Birmingham, AL area, Mom's Inc stands for Mom's In Need of Community (which, how many of us mom's do NOT need community, right?) After I had my son I did not know there was anything like this group out there for me.  I wasn't as "cut out" for stay-at-home mom as I thought and I felt really lonely and in need of community.  When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter I made a point to seek something out that would keep me involved with the outside world where I was able to have some adult interaction.  How fortunate I am to have such a wonderful group available at my church! I felt instantly connected with these ladies.  They have given me so much that I wanted to do something to give back.  There are only a few things I am good at and enjoy doing daily, one of which is sewing. 

250px Summer Sampler Series Badge
So for the next year my plan is to host a quilt along, each month featuring a new block so that at the end of the year we have 12 beautifully unique blocks to make into a throw size quilt.  Since I am a beginner quilter I will be using the patterns from a wonderful series called the Summer Sampler Series found Here on Fresh Lemons website.

 More about this fun quilt along later, however, if you are local and would like to participate and have not already done so, please email me ASAP so I can get a head count.  Another blog will follow shortly, giving further details about the quilt along itself (fabric requirements, supplies, etc.) and then, pending everything works out with our sewing studio location, another blog will follow pinning down dates and times.

So for now, Welcome to Do Ray Me Sew! I hope you enjoy!

See you soon,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment