Thursday, January 16, 2014

Reese's Quilt


I would like to share with y'all my first accomplishment of the year!  Yay!  I started Reese's quilt a year ago.  I was inspired by Amy's road trip hexi project from Stitchery Dickory Dock.  In her post she drew out a possible layout for her hexies and I loved it!  I didn't follow it exactly, but it was pretty close.  I loved the big, scrappy "snowflake" shapes she made instead of the traditional flowers you usually see with hexi quilts. 


I had been thinking about doing a hexi quilt for awhile because you make the hexies by hand, and since I was mongo pregnant, I like the idea of sitting on my couch instead of being hunched over my sewing machine.  I made a hexagon template on my computer out of card stock and adhered the fabric to the hexagon using a glue stick.  I thought I would like the glue stick instead of the traditional thread basting method, but I decided in the end it was probably not the way to go.  Initially it was quicker -assembling the hexies- but when it came time to take the papers out it was kind of a pain.

(I really should have taken an iron to this thing!)

I used a layer cake of some really beautiful fabric that I really wish I could remember the name of.  I'm thinking this line was discontinued because I have searched for it for two days and have no success, but I'm pretty sure it was either Riley Blake or some sort of Moda line.  I picked the colors because of the colors and spring time prints.  My daughter's room is a bird theme with lots of purple.  The back is a beautiful yellow floral Moda print that I found at my quilt shop, and I made the binding using leftover scraps of the layer cake that I made the hexis out of.  I quilted the white area with a large free motion meandering stitch and the hexies with a very small meandering stitch.

 
I love the way this quilt turned out and I can't wait to get some major use out of it this spring!



No comments:

Post a Comment